Today’s challenge

I think this progressive update thing works. Today is my biggest challenge yet:

  1. I have a blocked-up headache and a sore back
  2. My cat, Zac, came home yesterday from the vet after a knee reconstruction, and is following me around and moaning at me.
  3. I need to get some client reports done but can’t get into it
  4. I could work on my Diploma essay – that seems more feasible given challenges 1 & 2.

I’ve resorted to working at the dining table so he (the cat) can see me wherever he is. The stairs are blocked so he can’t fall down them. He really wants to be outside, and we tried that because I thought he’d need to do what a cat needs to do, but he just wanted to sit and look around. Either that or asleep on my lap will do.

I’ve organised my work in the city for tomorrow. So that’s one for me!

Zac has found the sunny spot in the spare bedroom, so there’s hope for me yet!

[hours later] I did manage to work out the final structure of the essay and fix som citations, but not much else.

I also visited my sister’s place and talked to two of my nieces. Wonderful girls, both of them!

Progressive Productivity Update 25 August

I seem to have gotten stalled today after my internet connection went down, and now that it’s fixed I can’t seem to get back on track so I’m trying something new – a progressive update.

I don’t know if it will work, but I’m willing to try it.

I have the land research results of three clients to sort out and write reports or varying comprehensiveness:

1. Images I took of Conditional Purchase correspondence for two clients taken on the same day need to be separated and processed. I did the separation yesterday (on the train!) and the images for client one are ready to be written to a CD and mailed, which is all she requires.

2. The images for Client 2 (and these numbers have no particular significance) must be sorted into separate folders for the specific portion of land referred to and written up in the report that I started last week.

3. The searches of the purchasers indexes at the Lands Department for the stepfather for Client 3 have to be consolidated in a single spreadsheet and analysed to determine which should be followed up to answer the initial question “what happened to the mother’s land after the father died?” The spreadsheet was done, or mostly done, before I got sick again last week, so there is just the analysis to do, I hope. Then I’ll write to the client to see what she wants to do next.

So, on to task 2….

[5 hours later]

I did task 3, and it took me over 3 hours. I didn’t find anything in common between the two lists, which is not surprising. I mapped the portions on Google Maps and saved it as a Map for the client. It’s so helpful to be able to mark them all out together. NSW parish maps are available on line, and Google Maps has the portion boundaries marked, so it’s actually a lot of fun!

Coming back to this post has reminded me about task 2, so I’ll do that now…

[nearly bedtime] I’m writing up some research in the report for Client 2 but haven’t sorted the images yet…

[a bit later] Images mostly sorted, going to bed. A good day after all!

Productivity Update 21 August

Today I’m quite pleased with myself, and I don’t see anything wrong with announcing it!

  1. I attending my niece’s cooking demonstration at her school. It was called ‘Cafe for a Day’, and the girls got into pairs and cooked lunch with dessert for the parent that could make it, or parent-substitute (that was me). Spaghetti with a tomato and basil sauce, parmesan crisps and coffee tiramisu, at a bench set with table cloth and all. Very nice!
  2. I then paid a visit to the President of the Ku-Ring-Gai Orchid Society to show him how to update the website I set up for them a couple of years ago. Have a look in a few days and see how he’s going – www.kuringaiorchidsociety.org.au. It’s the best time to visit such an exceptional orchid grower, with so many orchids in flower!
  3. I then finished, yes finished, the client research and report that has been hanging around for months. My illness and lack of knowledge of, and access to, Queensland records, got in the way, and I sat down yesterday and systematically went through all the digitised records that are now available on Ancestry, World Vital Records, the Queensland State Archives, the State Library of Queensland, and Judy Webster’s website and wrote a list. Actually more of a worksheet. As a result of all this research I had a breakthrough.

A good day.

Tomorrow, back to the essay.